CLASSIC AUTOMOBILES AND VINTAGE MOTORCYCLES!
Two of my favorite things in the world are classic automobiles and vintage motorcycles. And when you combine them both into one event… well, that’s a pretty good day. Today I made my way to The Factory in Franklin, Tennessee for the 27th Annual Antique & Classic Car Show, sponsored by the Battlefield Region of the Antique Automobile Club of America. But it get’s better… this years show was held in conjunction with the Music City Chapter of the Antique Motorcycle Club of America. That’s right… a beautiful day filled with classic automobiles and vintage motorcycles…. all in the same place. I could go on about how heavenly that is, but I’ll just shut up and let you enjoy some of my photos.
AN AWESOME 1977 BMW R100/7
I spotted this way-cool 1977 BMW R100/7 at a local show this weekend. The bike was modded into a cafe’ style by a chap named Bob Long in Sevierville, Tennessee. Here’s what he did:
- Completely disassembled the frame and cleared all unnecessary mounting lugs
- Painted frame and components with PPG PR4 Red.
- Painted side covers, tank and rear fairing in PPG WA600R Black and PPG GAN Silver
- Rebuilt forks and stiffened with 8mm bushings.
- Replaced rear shocks with Hagon SA adjustable coil-overs.
- Added Burley Cafe’ rear tail section and custom seat cover.
- Added Cat Eye tail light and BR sport mini turn signals (front and back).
- Added European spec “low bars.”
- Added “Pea-Shooters” slip on mufflers and header wrap.
- Deleted rear fender and shortened front fender.
I think the results are fantastic… I love this bike!
A few weeks ago four of us decided to hop on the bikes on Sunday afternoon and ride to points unknown. I suggested highway 231 and it took us out of Nashville all the way to the Tennessee/Alabama border… providing some great scenery along the way. The pic above was taken on a break just at the state line. The three of them are checking out my map to figure out how we were to get home.
As you can tell from the pic below… this is a diverse group. An Electra Glide, Fatboy, VStrom and some kind of a naked BMW. Nope… no brand prejudice here!
The last pic was taken on the way back in a little town called Wartrace, Tennessee. They have this old time looking gas station set up there so we had to get a shot.
Another great ride with good friends… and a few roads I had never traveled before… love it!
TODAY’S 2-WHEEL SIGHTING
I saw this guy on the way home from the office tonight and as I passed him I snapped a shot through my filthy windshield. Obviously it’s a Beemer but I’m not sure what model… something in the Sport-Touring lineup. Lately I’ve become more and more interested in a Sport-Tourer and BMW has always been considered one of the best… but I doubt I will ever own one. Still they interest me. Check out the single sided hub on the rear wheel. Removal sure would be easy.